Seven years ago

4 Apr

I started down this journey called motherhood.  It was bedtime and I nervously debated eating some bread.  It could be a long time before I got to eat again, since it seemed as if I was in labor.  If you know me, you know I get VERY crabby when food deprived.  I didn’t figure my unborn child should be exposed to such things immediately upon birth, so I ate.  I wanted this whole birth thing to be a natural, beautiful thing.

I had a very defined picture of how this birth would go.  You know, like first time moms do.  I would birth my son in a water tub, surrounded by peaceful thoughts.  I figured I was tough and could do without any drugs.  I’m in good shape and didn’t gain much weight so labor should be easy anyways.  Right?

We got to the hospital and I was barely to 3cm.  I had a long ways to go.  I was hooked to the fetal monitor.  About 10 minutes of rolling this way and that per the nurse and midwife’s directions, the midwife asked, “What would you do if you couldn’t have a water birth?”  It was something I had never considered.  “I guess we’ll just play it by ear”.

Moments later, a OB came and informed me that I would be needing a C-section.  “Can I go to the bathroom before I get my catheter?”  “No time for that”.  Where were my candles and warm relaxing water?  This was not what I had envisioned.

While they shaved my nether regions, the anesthesiologist had me sign a bunch of consent forms.  I have no idea what I signed.  I was in the operating room less than a half hour from admittance.  I have never been so scared in my entire life.  I remember almost nothing except for how I felt.  I was shaking like a leaf the entire time.  I was shivering from being cold but the anesthesia seemed to make me shake uncontrollably while I shivered.  Good thing they had my arms strapped down in those wonderful bands.  Then there was a pulling sensation.  Next it felt as if an elephant was kneeling on my chest for a good five minutes.  Then the doctor and nurses counted to four.

I did not understand what was going on.  Why were they counting?  The doctor explained.  Griffin’s umbilical cord had been wrapped around his neck four times.  It was a record for that doctor.  Yipee!  We set a new record!

My baby was not crying.  He was blue.  They had to resuscitate him.  I somehow missed all of this until I got our camera and looked at the pictures the midwife had taken.  But he started crying quickly and I got to see him momentarily.  Then they whisked him off for oxygen.  Jeff went with him.  I was there alone.

Two hours later, I got to nurse my baby for the first time.  But it wasn’t the warm fuzzy natural experience you expect.  I was covered with cords, monitors, and cuffs.  So the nurse drew back my gown and stuck Griffin on there for me.  He took a few swallows and then off he went for more oxygen.

Griffin was diagnosed with IUGR.  Intrauterine growth retardation.  Basically he had been nutrient deprived and therefore his growth was less than expected.  He was 19 inches long but only weighed 5 lbs 15 oz and was born two days before his due date.

He had a hard time keeping his body temperature up so we did a lot of kangaroo care.  But he nursed like a champ.  My little barracuda nurser.  He gained 5 oz before we even left the hospital.  He was basically attached at the nipple for the first 6 weeks.  Made for one very tired mom, but one very healthy, chubby little man.

Now my baby is seven years old.  It doesn’t seem possible.  He loves to ride his bike, play outside, is becoming quite a reader, and a wonderful big brother.  I am so proud of the little man he is becoming.


2 Responses to “Seven years ago”

  1. stephicakes April 5, 2012 at 7:33 am #

    Aw, I’m sad I missed this yesterday. Happy belated birthday Griffin!!

  2. Lindsay April 5, 2012 at 11:40 am #

    Happy Birthday Griffin!! Hope all of you had a fabulous day! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: